OVERVIEW OF THE PROGRAMME
Corina Crețu, Commissioner for Regional Policy said: "I am pleased to adopt this cooperation programme between Bulgaria and the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia. Cross-border programmes depend on the strong will of the participating countries to pool resources together to tackle joint challenges. By cooperating on environment, tourism and SME competitiveness, the region can increase its attractiveness for tourists and investors. I wish both countries success in setting up this cooperation, and supporting projects that will capitalise on the regional strengths."
- Improved capacity for environmental protection and sustainable use of joint natural resources for example by investing in green infrastructure as well as in training and capacity building activities for public authorities.
- Improved capacity for joint reaction in case of fires, floods, and other emergency situations by restoring river banks, zonal and regional/local planning adapted to the river basin and by implementing comprehensive fire protecting initiatives.
- Increased attractiveness for tourism through the restoration of heritage buildings and the maintenance of traditional landscapes.
- Enhanced cooperation and networking for sustainable tourism development.
- Improved conditions for business development: the competitive local economy based on regional assets and with strong links to international markets by strengthening, for example, the capacities of an education system oriented to the market demands.
- Enhanced capacity of the public and private sector for business development by promoting entrepreneurship and cooperation for exchange of new ideas, skills, and technology and fostering the creation of new firms.
The Interreg IPA CBC programme covers 2 border regions in Bulgaria and 3 regions from the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia:
- In Bulgaria: Districts of Blagoevgrad and Kyustendil.
- In the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia: North East, South East, and East regions.
The programme will focus on the following three priorities:
- Sustainable tourism
Total Budget of the cooperation programme: € 19 461 690.
Total EU contribution (IPA – Instrument for Pre-accession Assistance): € 16 542 434
The programme is managed by the Ministry of Regional Development and Public Works of the Republic of Bulgaria.
Contact: 17-19 Sv. Sv. Kiril i Methodiy Str., 1202 Sofia, Bulgaria, http://www.mrrb.government.bg
Programme documents can be found HERE